The hiatus is over! It’s been a long time, but now we’re back. Let’s talk about wooden jewelry, boxes, and watches.
Inspired by nature, wood jewelry captures the essence of our forests in delicate, intricate designs.
In recent times, the use of wood has changed from decoration to modern day fashion statement pieces. Likewise, these particular jewelry and watch pieces are made from sustainable, eco-friendly materials such as maple and walnut which are less expensive than many precious metals.
However, blending metals with wood jewelry and watch pieces have high quality aesthetics that make them desirable for this new, yet natural style.
Do You Know Your Roots?
Wood jewelry is one of the oldest, most popular, and most universal forms of adornment and a great way to express one’s individuality and taste.
People have been wearing wood jewelry for centuries. Different cultures and time periods have produced different styles of wood jewelry.
Ancient Egyptians wore wooden beads and jewelry made from the acacia tree. They believed that wooden beads could be used to cure diseases. The African Zulu people believe that wood is a symbol of purity because it is from the earth.
Wooden rings are also an ancient form of jewelry. This type of jewelry can be traced back as far as the 16th century, when people started to make wooden rings by carving wood.
Wood jewelry was seen as a status symbol and was only worn by the rich, mainly because it was rare at the time. because it was rare at the time and very expensive to acquire due to deforestation.
In Japan, it was a popular fashion to wear wooden rings before World War II.
Today, wood jewelry is still popular in some areas but not as glamorous as it once was.
However due to advances in jewelry making tools and technology and the introduction of blended materials like metals, stones, semi-precious stones, wood jewelry is making a strong comeback.
Types of Wood Used in Jewelry Production
Wood jewelry is a new trend in the fashion world today and is becoming a popular material for jewelry production, because it is sustainable, biodegradable and hypoallergenic.
Wood jewelry is also made from different types of wood and used in different ways to make necklaces, bracelets, rings, earrings and other pieces.
There are basically two types of wood. Softwoods and Hardwoods. Softwoods come from coniferous trees with needles or leaves that remain on the tree all year long. Hardwoods are from deciduous trees that have broad leaves that fall off every season.
When it comes to choosing the type of wood for a piece of jewelry, there are many different considerations. The wood type used is usually chosen for its unique look, durability, and attractiveness.
There are many types of wood materials from which you can choose from, but the most popular ones include Bocote, Cherry, Ebony, Walnut, Mahogany and Rosewood.
- Bocote – an exotic wood that comes from Mexico and Central America, it is often used in making jewelry because it doesn’t have any knots and its color variations are beautiful.
- Cherry – one of the most popular woods for jewelry, cherry is strong and durable which means that it will last for years to come.
- Ebony – a rare type of wood, is one of the most popular materials for making jewelry. The color of ebony is dark and it has a beautiful luster. That’s why it is often used for things such as rings, necklaces, and bracelets.
- Walnut – a hardwood with delicate grain patterns and creamy light brown colors.
- Mahogany – one of the most expensive woods due to its dark, gleaming appearance and durability
- Rosewood – an expensive, luxurious wood that is a popular material for making jewelry. It’s hard to find because the trees grow in Southeast Asia. The color of the wood ranges from light pink to deep red, and it can be either straight or curly grain patterned.Different species of wood will have different characteristics when used in jewelry so it’s important to make sure you pick the right one before making your purchase.
- Balsa – a popular natural, sustainable material for jewelry. Balsa wood is lightweight and doesn’t react with the skin, no matter how long someone wears it. It’s also a good choice for people with metal allergies.
- Bamboo – a beautiful material with properties that make it ideal for jewelry. Its unique color, texture, and strength create a product that stands out from the competition.
Tools and Equipment Used for Wood Jewelry Making
Woodworking tools are the primary tools used in woodworking. There are many different types of woodworking tools, and they are used for different processes in the making of a piece of jewelry.
Tools come in all shapes and sizes, depending on the task to be done; some examples include planes, chisels, saws, clamps, screwdrivers and more.
The following is a list of the tools that are needed or useful for making a piece of jewelry out of wood:
- Workbench with Mitre-square Clamp – a necessity for any woodworker. It provides a stable surface and ensures that the wood stays flat while you are cutting it.
- Band Saw – used for cutting curved, straight, and other shapes that cannot be done with a table saw.
- Bowl Gouge – typically used to carve concave surfaces, such as the inside of a bowl.
- Bridge Saw – a blade that extends past the edge of the table to allow for cutting overhangs without having to move the workpiece.
- Carving Chisels – a must-have, but not just any set will do. There are many different types of chisels, each for a different purpose, and they come in various sizes as well.
- Chamfer Gauge – Used for a straight edge. One can cut an angle on both sides of the workpiece for tongues and grooves, biscuit joints, and tenons.
- Mitre Gauge – Can measure angles up to 45 degrees in either direction and be clamped down to make accurate cuts.
- Dremel Tool – an electrically-powered rotary tool that allows you to cut and grind materials such as plastic, metal, wood, glass, tile, stone and drywall more precisely than using hand tools like saws or chisels would allow you to do so.
Current Trends In The Industry
3D laser printers and laser engravers were originally developed in the 1980s as a way to create prototypes. However, these printers have evolved into a new tool for artists and designers.
These machines can print any material including wood, metal, plastic and more. This technique is unique because it allows creators to use more organic materials in their designs.
Online Personalized and Customized Wood Jewelry
Get inspired by the tree’s roots with original handcrafted wood jewelry designs.
Customized wood jewelry is one of the hottest trends in the industry right now with millennials purchasing them at an unprecedented rate.
Now, there are many companies that can personalize wood jewelry with your names, initials and insignias.
Caring for Your Wooden Jewelry Pieces (Part 1)
There are a few things you need to know when caring for your wooden jewelry pieces to keep them looking new for longer!
- Never use any type of harsh chemicals or cleaners on wood or metal (especially if it has been dark-stained) because they could damage the surface of the material.
- Wood can get scratched so be sure to keep it away from other rigid objects that could cause friction.
- Always keep separate from other jewelry.
Caring for Your Wooden Jewelry Pieces (Part 2) – Caution!
Another good treatment or restoration technique for wooden jewelry pieces is to use a piece of sandpaper to remove any rough edges and restore the natural luster.
You can also apply a coat of conditioning oil or polish with a soft cloth. However, I strongly suggest not attempting this if you are not experienced in performing the above tasks!
Nature’s Symbol of A Bright Future
The future seems bright for wood jewelry as it continues to grow in popularity across the world for both men and women because there are many options in styles, colors, designs.
Wood jewelry is eco-friendly material and is much cheaper than gold or silver.
Wood can easily be recycled or even composted which means that the products do not have a negative impact on the environment like some types of plastic items do.
Wood Jewelry is amazing! The type of wood lends a distinct character to the jewelry that you create. The natural colors and grains of wood make each piece unique.
No two pieces will ever be the same.
As a customer or designer, you will find that this allows for endless design possibilities and combinations as well as creative freedom in your own personal style.